Supporting Breastfeeding Families
Join Bel Moore as you gain the skills and knowledge to assist with
breastfeeding. Confidently provide education, support and access to evidence-based
information that will enable almost all mothers and babies to breastfeed, overcome
any difficulties that might arise and make informed choices.
Topics include (but are not limited to)
- Maternal anatomy including breast development, normal breast anatomy, variation and
- abnormalities and how certain structures may impact breastfeeding
- Infant oral anatomy and assessment:
- Normal infant reflexes and their connection to successful breastfeeding
- Making space to meet baby, the first few days, skin to skin and weight gain.
- Nights and “Night- time parenting” - “My baby is feeding ALL THE TIME”
- Supporting parents to trust their instincts
- Supporting partners to support breastfeeding.
- Stages of lactation
- Endocrine vs. Autocrine control of supply & The most important factor of ongoing
- Language and what is breastfeeding SUPPORT?
- How to create a breastfeeding support community that involves families.
- Structure. Our bodies and how we support healthy breastfeeding habits
- How to breastfeed while bed sharing (and why this is SO important)
- Infant nutrition and breast milk composition
- Maternal nutrition and breastfeeding including exercise, weight gain and alcohol
- Red Flags, common complications and variations of normal.
- Frequently asked questions, how to know baby is getting enough, solids, babywearing and
- Expressing, Alternative options and Public Health
- Infant sleep and breastfeeding
- Breastfeeding myths and how to evaluate online resources.
This is the comprehensive breastfeeding education that you are looking for that gives
you the confidence and skills to assist women at all stages in their breastfeeding
journey, knowing how to help them and when to refer on.