These 3 modules explore the themes of feminism, patriarchy, paternalism, autonomy and agency in relation to women in the maternity system. We explore the power dynamics and policy within the maternity system, terms such as ‘cultureof blame’ and’ horizontal violence’ and explore ways to affect change in the maternity system.
Women experience a lack of access to options in maternity care and their choices in childbirth are often limited. This includes women from culturally and linguistically diverse populations, refugees and migrants, women who are disabled and indigenous populations. We discuss the social determinants of health and their impact on choices.
This module explores the options and choices in the public and private systems, human rights in childbirth and the nature of truly informed consent.
Jacki is a highly qualified, experienced and respected birth professional with a passion for natural births. She has almost 20 years experience as a midwife in a variety of settings including hospitals and home births. She now operates her own successful doula business, www.lovecherub.com.
- Mother of 2 adult children.
- Studied Arts and Psychology in the UK at Open University and Birkbeck College, University of London.
- Studied Midwifery at EIHMS, University of Surrey, Guildford UK.
- Worked as a midwife at East Surrey Hospital, Guildford Hospital, Mona Vale Hospital and Manly Hospital.
- Trained in waterbirth Crowborough Birth Centre East Sussex UK.
- Trained in reflexology for midwives.
- Trained HypnoBirthing Practitioner Marie Mongan’s Method.
- Team Leader Midwife at Manly Hospital.
- On the Steering Committee for the NSW state directive ‘Towards Normal Birth’ while at Manly.
- Worked with Independent Midwife Sheryl Sidery as a second midwife for home births in Sydney.
- Successful full time doula and business owner for over 3 years attending between 40 to 50 births per year.
- Co-Director and Founder of We Birth: Advanced Education and Training for Doulas and Birth Workers.
Jennifer Hazi is a mother of 5, an experienced Midwife, Doula and Childbirth educator with over a decade of experience in birthing. She is passionate about working with women and their families as they transition into parenthood and has a keen interest in women’s experiences of pregnancy and mothering.
Jen started her journey into working with childbearing women and their families as a doula and facilitator of women's antenatal space.
Her passion for learning and excitement about working with women in this environment lead her to complete a Bachelor of Midwifery at the University of Technology, Sydney enabling her to care clinically for women and their babies.
- Registered Midwife working in a large tertiary referral hospital.
- Qualified Doula with over 10 years experience.
- Qualified Childbirth Educator working with families in the Eastern Suburbs Sydney and online. www.jenniferhazi.com
- Postgraduate studies in reproductive and sexual health.
- Studied reflexology for childbirth
- Certified in neuroprotective infant settling.
- Certified in group facilitation and education skills.
- Co-Director of We Birth: Advanced training for Doulas and Birth Workers.
after you enroll
Stage 1: Women
after you enroll
The culture of western maternity care
after you enroll
Frequently Asked Questions
When does the course start and finish?
The course starts now and never ends! It is a completely self-paced online course - you decide when you start and when you finish.
How long do I have access to the course?
How does lifetime access sound? After enrolling, you have unlimited access to this course for as long as you like - across any and all devices you own.
What if I am unhappy with the course?
We would never want you to be unhappy! If you are unsatisfied with your purchase, contact us in the first 30 days and we will give you a full refund.
This course is not open for enrollment.